Thursday, December 18, 2014

Getting Unstickty-Stuck from the Muckity-Muck


You know you’re in it… you know you don’t want to… you hear those “enlightened ones” say “choose a better feeling thought” and then you feel those middle fingers spring into action… ARGHHHHH!

Do not pass GO, do not collect $200 but congratulations… You are living a human experience!  You are stuck in the muck!

I am not one to put a band aide on my hurt feelings and pretend they don’t exist.  There are times choosing a better feeling thought just pisses me off even more.  Why?  Because it just dodges and pushes aside whatever got you there to begin with.  Is there something that needs to be said, written down, released or acknowledged?  Is there an action you need to take, a step in the direction you want to go, any direction??  Sometimes the easiest step is just saying out loud  (or in your head) what’s on your mind to bring it to the surface to release.

Recently at the theatre where I work, I had to deal with a woman under the influence during a show.  She wasn’t “fall down drunk” but to the point where her edit button wasn’t working.  She knew she was beyond tipsy but it didn’t matter… she wanted to get her “buzz” on and proceeded to ask several staff members if they had some weed she could buy (I’m not kidding).  She finally came up to me standing next to a security guard to ask if we had any weed.  I kept thinking this has got to be one of the strangest experiences I’d ever had.  When we delivered the bad news that in fact, no one could help her obtain what she wanted, she stuck out her lip in a pouty-face, got down on her knees and said in a little girl voice, “Grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble!”  The security guard and I turned to each other with a “you’ve got to be kidding me” look and did everything we could not to bust out laughing.  We eventually talked her into returning to her seat with the rest of her party.

As ridiculous as that behavior was, I started to think that woman was onto something.  Over the next week, the “pouty grumbles” followed by a laugh became my mantra whenever I had to deal with something uncomfortable.  It was a way to voice my displeasure in a non-threatening, humorous way and get the energy moving.   We did a lot of laughing that week.  It wasn’t a band aide but an acknowledgment that something needed to change…. even though I may not have had the answer in the moment.  Moving that energy with a grumble was the first step in loosening myself from the muck.

You may not have as much leeway in your job or situation as I do, nor am I suggesting you grumble at your boss, but the key here is to acknowledge where you are and accept that moment. We all have something that works to get the energy moving in a difficult or uncomfortable situation.  Perhaps as simple as a deep breathe followed by a sigh… Please share additional ways to get the energy flowing that have worked for you in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment